Here's to our crazy life with 4 kids and a dog!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

orthodontist

Seth is now in the care of an orthodontist. Sigh......it was bound to happen. Our dentist said we needed to take him in, but I kept putting it off. Well not any more. The reason behind all the crowded teeth in his mouth is that his palate is too small or narrow to properly fit his teeth. So, he will have to wear a specialized retainer for the next year that we'll be turning a screw on weekly. That will slowly but surely open up the palate and help his teeth to space out. If it works like the doctor suspects it will, then we won't need another year (or two) of braces. I'm ok with that. ug.....
The neat thing about his appliance is that it's colored. He was able to choose the colors and even got a sticker put in it. He wished he'd been able to choose a pokemon sticker but settled for mickey mouse because "well he's cool too." So he chose red on one side and green on the other. As long as he's happy with it and will want to wear it then I don't care what it looks like! Although I have to say I was hoping for the one that glowed in the dark. Oh well! He talks funny for now until he gets used to it. The good thing for him is that unless you hear him speak or know that he has it in his mouth, you'd never know he was wearing one. No front wire. Guess that's ok. Just hope this retainer lasts the whole year.



2 smarmy thoughts:

Shannon @FairfaceWashcloths said...

Pretty snazzy! I think Mickey's cool too. :)

Jen H. said...

What a trooper, you have such great kids. Oh, and I still hate going to the dentist!