Here's to our crazy life with 4 kids and a dog!

Saturday, February 5, 2011

No heat

This week we've had the coldest few days in southern AZ in a LONG time. At least cold for us. And because of all the weird weather that's been going on, the gas service here that heats homes and for the most part causes stoves to work was shut off, because they ran out of gas. Yes that's right, the gas company ran out. The affected area was basically our ward boundaries. It was a big ole' mess!! So needless to say all the space heaters in town sold out VERY quickly. I really didn't want to venture out, but since we had nothing to keep everyone warm except blankets I decided to venture out to find something that would help with the cold. We ended up at Walmart and found some heated mattress pads. I bought 2 and we got a few things we could microwave and headed home. The high for the day was 11. Yeah....that's right 11 degrees. That's just not right for southern AZ. I mean if it's going to be that cold, at least give us snow for crying out loud!!
School was also canceled because there was no water. I'm guessing it's because pipes burst. There were several folks that also had that problem. So it wouldn't surprise me. We were lucky, we had lots of water, just no gas to heat it. Hot chocolate made in the microwave just isn't the same as made with boiling water from the stove, not sure why, it just isn't. So we huddled together and when it was time for bed, i put one of the pads on Paige's bed and the other one on my bed figuring that one of the kids would make his/her way in there. I got out sleeping bags and blankets. When they all made their way to bed, they slept well and warm.

I loved the one on my bed and am upset that we didn't think of getting one of these sooner! It was heavenly!! We all slept well and went through the next day (still no school) trying to find things to do. Luckily the weather was a bit warmer and we could stand to be outside. And the best part is that later that evening (Friday), our home teacher came over telling us that gas had been restored. He restarted the pilot light and made sure that all our gas appliances worked. I was doing the happy dance!!! Going 2 days without heat in the unusual cold here was NOT fun. The gas company had better have learned their lesson, no more running out of gas!!!

2 smarmy thoughts:

Nana said...

My first thought was to say "Oh what was it 60 degrees?" I won't say that.

Hope it warms up soon!!!!

Yes, Fiona is a Great Dane, Mastiff mix a "Daniff."

We'll see how big she gets.

Shannon @FairfaceWashcloths said...

Wow - that's crazy! I've never heard of the gas company running out of gas! I'm glad your electric blankets saved you! Sounds cozy!